Signups for 2nd 1v1 Tournament.

Phantom Dust One on One Tournaments and Discussion
Gamertag: Bregan123

Signups for 2nd 1v1 Tournament.

Postby Bregan123 » October 1st, 2017, 6:18 pm

Announcing Signups for the 2nd 1v1 Tournament.
Last time we had Monkey20051 and ii Xanxus ii meet in the finals with Xanxus proving to be our winner.
Now that everyone's had more time to develop a meta, practice, and get more involved, who will end up in the finals this time?
For now, I'll open up signups until October 14.
Once signups are complete (This time with no cap) we'll decide on a format. We could do double elim, single elim, round robin groups, we could even have an amateur's first round feed into the higher placed players after, so that newer players would have a better chance at having a first round match-up not against an elite veteran.

For everyone's ease, please use Facebook as the primary way to contact your opponent, we'll do our best to coordinate that- if you don't have a Facebook, let us know in the signups.

We'll keep a running list of who is who on FB vs Gamertag, please list name and gamertag here, or in the Facebook group.

Postby Bregan123 » October 2nd, 2017, 10:13 am

Going to keep the list here for now.

Bryan Harmon- N1 MegaMasterX
Dallin K. Mueller -Bregan123
Jerrick Evans- MrMath101
Josh Lee- KamikazeMario
Joshua Marshall- renketsu0
Bruce Barreto- JerseyDriver
Matt Wilityer- The Wolf 0
Rey Orlando Garcia- ii Xanxus ii
Michael King- Some Poor Choices
Daron Jackson- AfinShou
Christopher Herbert- Shadowshield
Matt Hughes - InvokerOfLegend
Greg Cdust- Sandal Enc
Alexander MCleod- PsychoRaven47
Gerald Noonan- filthy kaniggit
Steven Lundberg- ferenczik zombi
Sergiandalexis Araya- Esper51
Jacob Johnson- RebornGaignun
Fred Davis III- Murder Mastodon
Monkey20051 (Not on Facebook, contact via Xbox messages)
Jason Tatum- The Multitude
Alex Healzer- SC Warmachine21
Nathan Foley- Nathan0
Robert David VanGieson- lv Evolution vl

Gamertag: InvokerOfLegend

Postby InvokerOfLegend » October 8th, 2017, 6:45 am

Matt Hughes - InvokerOfLegend

Postby Bregan123 » October 16th, 2017, 11:35 am

Alright gentleman, signups for the 1v1 tournament have closed! We have 22 participants lined up, and I'm excited to see how it shakes out.

As we have a non-linear tournament-friendly number this time, I had some thoughts on changing up the format from what we've done before.

Previously it's been single elimination bracket style from start to finish.

What I propose now, is instead, doing a group system. Having 4 groups of 5-6 players (2 with 5 and 2 groups with 6 because of the number of participants). Then playing it in Round Robin, for those unfamiliar with the term, this would mean that you play each member in your group, and then we take the top 2 from each group, and slot them into a single elim 8 man bracket like before.

For example, say we have a group of: The Wolf, Xanxus, Monkey, Math, and Esper. Using Esper as the example, he would need to play a best of 5 vs Wolf, another vs Monkey, Math etc, as would all the other players in the group. Afterwards, when Esper is (expectedly) 0-4, we'd have Xanxus and Monkey, our previous finalists, moving on from the group with 4-0 and 3-1 records respectively.

This allows for newer/amateur players to be able to get in a few matches, and maybe even pick up a win or two, before being eliminated. In the past, Round 1 is almost an immediate culling of any new players, and I'd like to get them more playtime.

Now, to the main question I'd like to address: How much time is appropriate to finalize your matches in the group system? Two weeks? 3? 4? 28 days later?

The best way to complete them is to get a day where you get the most members of your group possible on, and try and knock it out in an hour or so with everyone playing everyone, but you can do it in smaller chunks too. This will require you to be proactive in scheduling, but it shouldn't be too much hassle.

IN ADDITION: Contact me about when you have scheduled your matches. I'll be doing my best to stretch my own availability in order to spectate and record your matches- with live commentary!

I can join your room, suicide quick, and spectate+commentate the matches, I'll also be looking for a co-cast for at least some of these. I'm really looking forward to doing it, and I know that last time we had some hype matches that no one but me ever got to see- so let me know when you're playing and I'll do everything possible to attend and record!

Expect group draws and time frames to be set tomorrow. Please give feedback on an appropriate amount of time to complete your group stage matches.

Return to One on One Tournaments