Aura Drain deck

Got an arsenal or idea that you'd like to share or discuss? Feel free to post it here.
Gamertag: LordScrubBubble

Aura Drain deck

Postby LordScrubBubble » July 17th, 2017, 8:50 pm

A low cost aura torture deck. Randomly though of it just now.

http://phantomdusted.com/arsenal-lab/arsenal/289

Tell me what you think

Gamertag: Sandal Enc
Xlink Kai: FromTheDust

Postby Collected Dust » July 18th, 2017, 4:44 am

With the amount of erase skills being used I would want to have something that can deal with Orb or a teammate who can aid you in it. Options include freeze moves like Ice Sword or Glacial wall, maybe Freeze Shot. Other than that, Greedy Spirit can likely get one erase move to hit against Orb if your timing is done well. Other major option is to use Chaos or Stagnant Air.(Chaos won't work with bloody ritual or vbalance though) Might want a skill that can get you below 3 as I only see Restrain as the only move that can lower your level. Unless you want to step on your own Panic Gas's. :lol:
If the focus is not on tag you will probably want some ways to gain life as there are quite a few life losing moves.

Postby LordScrubBubble » July 18th, 2017, 5:03 pm

I wanted to avoid using a third school. Do you think it would be worth it to make it a three school? I guess if im using it mostly for aura erase, my aura regen wouldnt matter as much. Panic gas was my plan actually if I waned to hit 2 with vbalance. Life gain is a good idea.

Postby ElD » July 18th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Here's my problem with the deck: I don't think you commit enough to the strategy. Your only (self) level control skill is Restrain: you're realistically looking at having 3/4 aura during a match after Vicious Balance.

At 4 aura, the only shields you really take off the table are Reverse and Vacuum Wall. You can only really do 4 damage, so you're getting hard walled by some common shields (Angel's Wing, Wall of Current, Guard, Wall of Fire, etc.) that you can't outspam. Defensively you're also in some trouble: your shields can't withstand a lot of common attacks with a Tiger's Strength (Reincarnation, e.g.) and succumb to some 4-cost or less permanent use skills (Rail Gun, Cluster Bomb, etc.). If you can't limit their offense, your defenses simply aren't going to cut it.

My personal advice is that if you want to stick to a level control deck, you either need to commit to Vicious Balance and play to low aura costs (0 to 2), or change tack and go with some level erase that allows for some more overall deck balance (Exhaust from Ki, Quantum Decay, etc.) so you don't get walled offensively.

Postby LordScrubBubble » July 18th, 2017, 10:17 pm

Hmmm okay I think I understand. Seeing as I have a single school 2 aura vicious balance deck, I think I'll pull the vicious balance and maybe faith overall. Thank you for the advice

Postby baodeus » July 19th, 2017, 1:19 am

Would fairy ring (only 2 aura) works? It kind of worked for me against large damage skills with high aura requirement. But it would be better with 2 school or one school arsenal because u would need faster aura recovery than your opponent to pull it off.

Postby Collected Dust » July 19th, 2017, 2:08 am

LordScrubBubble wrote:I wanted to avoid using a third school. Do you think it would be worth it to make it a three school? I guess if im using it mostly for aura erase, my aura regen wouldnt matter as much. Panic gas was my plan actually if I waned to hit 2 with vbalance. Life gain is a good idea.

I do feel it's worth it. You have 8 moves that can be negated just by having 2 aura and an Orb. Some people never use it, but if you don't want your arsenal to be negated so much by it, then its worth it.

You could think of using Quantum Decay instead of Panic Gas if your goal is to bring yourself below 2. If you cast it with only 4 or 5 aura it will take you down to 2 and might automatically take your opponent's aura down significantly that you might not need to vicious Balance right away. Of course if you're looking to minimize your own Level Loss I could see you trying for Panic Gas still. QDecay and VBalance are both easy to hit with once you freeze someone's buttons and guaranteed to work.

If you work with Quantum Decay and want to keep your level up, you could plant a boost mine, cast Quantum Decay, then step on the boost mine to boost your level back up.

If you still don't like the prospect of 3 schools you could look at bringing the Faith and Optical's schools selection into an arsenal that has either Nature or Ki. Nature will give you the reliable freeze effects to bypass Orb and Amulet with Glacial Wall or Ice Sword. Ki can give you Chaos to knock out Orb and Amulet, or you can use Stagnant Air to get past Orb. Ki also has the highly accurate level erase skill Exhaust which could be more reliable than a Panic Gas.

Rebirth, Mist Blade, and Mist Blaster can lower your level down to 0 or 2 with enough uses. Just don't get them erased before you get low enough.

Postby Collected Dust » July 19th, 2017, 2:19 am

baodeus wrote:Would fairy ring (only 2 aura) works? It kind of worked for me against large damage skills with high aura requirement. But it would be better with 2 school or one school arsenal because u would need faster aura recovery than your opponent to pull it off.

Since Fairy Ring is an erase skill, Orb and Amulet would have protection from it, protecting players from going to 0 aura. You could exhaust an Amulet with 3 Fairy Ring uses though.

Fairy RIng can technically be used with a partner to erase someone's Reincarnation or Photon Barrier. One would cast fairy Ring while the other player shoots the erase move at the enemy. If Fairy Ring takes effect before the erase move hits, it will stop them from retaining Reincarnation or Photon Barrier. If people jump as Fairy Ring is about to take effect they can enter the invulnerability state to avoid it.

Greedy Spirit can do a similar thing to get past Orb but you need good timing and will only get one erase move to connect. This video shows the player shooting greedy spirit at Germano who has Orb equipped. One Bloody Ritual is able to erase Germano's level, but a 2nd shot is too slow to beat Germano's regeneration of 2 aura. I believe Germano uses a 2 school case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo856IdbOqI

If you use something with a longer casting time like Vicious Balance, you basically have to start up its use right after Greedy Spirit fires, without really knowing if it will connect or not. Greedy Spirit might have to be shot at a farther distance for it to work. There's just that little time for it. Might be easier if the teammate is shooting the Greedy Spirit though.

Postby thewhitehouse » October 2nd, 2017, 4:07 pm

I agree with EID. It could be a good arsenal, but you should try low aura skills if you are going to be playing vicious balance. This arsenal probably works pretty good as is, but there are some improvements to be made.

Return to Ubiquitous' Arsenal Lab