Monkey20051 / xXSilverSaintXx
Ghost xDHx / The Multitude
Esper51 / Iv Evolution vI
Goatrix / Silent79
Dewayne 202 / Jay19000
Sandal Enc / filthy kaniggit
jokerz2099 / sadizticsoul
i doomsd4y i / romingronin

Team chat goes live tomorrow (July 27). The time has come for Tag Tournament registration!

Please post in this thread to register. I’ll need gamertags for you and your partner. Registration closes August 15. Round 1 will start on Wednesday, August 16.

The tournament will be Swiss format, followed by a cut to double elimination bracket (see below). Your team will be assigned a different opponent each round and it will be up to you (and your opponents) to schedule the match. The duration of each round will be 8 days.

A match consists of five games – each team gets to ban a level and the remaining five levels are played through in order. For example, if my team bans Palace and our opponent bans Lane, we would play on:

• Highway
  • Panorama
  • City
  • Refinery
  • Sein

…in that order. The match ends once a team has clinched a best-of-five victory. In the case of a draw (through five games) the tiebreaker game is played on Palace (even if it was banned). If additional tiebreakers are needed then the games are to progress through all seven levels until one of the teams has won a game. The winning team will report the match outcome here.

All skills/characters are permitted. Environmental hanging is permitted. Exploiting the clip plane bug in Panorama or Highway is cause for disqualification.

That's basically everything you need to know. Nitty gritty rules are below.

See you on the surface!

Nathan 0
nrfoley@gmail.com

-----------------------------------------------------

Challenge System
We will once again be employing a Challenge system. This is simply a formalized record of a team’s efforts to schedule their matches (so that un-played match ups can be adjudicated).

Look – this is 100% bookkeeping. The goal here is to play Phantom Dust, and I’m happy no matter how you get your games scheduled! These rules exist solely to keep non-responsive teams accountable. That said…

When the Round 1 matchups are announced, I will create a thread here for each match up. Therein you will post a Challenge against your opponents by naming a time that you and your partner are available (for instance, “3pm on Saturday the 19th”) and requesting a match for that time. You and your partner must BOTH be available for that time slot. Here are the rules:

• You must leave a 36 hour lead time between your challenge post and the proposed match time. So if you post at 9am Friday, you can schedule a match no earlier than 9pm Saturday night.
  • A team may only have one Challenge active at a time.
  • During the week, you may only schedule start times between 5pm and midnight, EST. During the weekend you may do any time between 10am and midnight, EST. I know this is tough for you West Coasters.
  • You may decline your opponent's Challenge with no penalty. However, if a Challenge goes unanswered for the entire duration of the lead time and the scheduled time passes, the Challenged team is disqualified and the Challenging team receives a bye for the round.
  • On the other hand, if a team accepts an Challenge and one of the Challenging players fails to show up for the match, the that team is disqualified and the Challenged team receives a bye. In other words, if you fail to show up for a match you scheduled, you have forfeited.
  • All Challenge matches will allow one hour from the set time for everyone to show up. So if you set a 3pm match, no one gets disqualified unless they fail to show up by 4pm.
  • Finally - once you've declined two Challenges you are obligated to respond with a Challenge of your own prior to the expiration of the second scheduled match-time. If you don't, your opponents may post a third Challenge. This third Challenge is binding, and if the Challenged team isn't available for this third time then they are disqualified.

Swiss / Elimination
This part is complicated. I’ll doing all the calculations - all you need to worry about is scheduling your match each week. This section is simply here in case anyone is interested in how the Swiss cuts will work.

Swiss is a pairing format based on a simplified ELO-style index. Round 1’s matchups will be entirely random. Starting in Round 2 the pairings will be weighted so that each team is more likely to play an opponent with a like record. That is, if you go 3-0 in the first round then your second round opponent is likely to have done well too.

For the purposes of determining rank, the system will be linear. A match win is worth 1 point, a match loss is worth 0 points, a match bye is worth 0.5 points, a game win is worth 0.1 points, a game draw is worth 0 and a game loss is worth -0.1 points.

Say a team wins two matches with scores of 3-0 and 3-1. That team has 2.5 points.

Say a team wins two matches with scores of 3-2 and 3-1-1. That team has 2.3 points.

You will not face the same opponent twice during the Swiss rounds. If we have an odd number of teams then each round’s bye will be assigned to the lowest ranked team who has not yet had a bye.

The number of teams we get will determine the number of Swiss rounds played (rounding up to log(2)n, where n = the number of teams). In other words:

• 3 to 4 teams: 2 rounds of Swiss
  • 5 to 8 teams: 3 rounds of Swiss
  • 9 to 16 teams: 4 rounds of Swiss
  • 17 to 32 teams: 5 rounds of Swiss (etc)

Following the Swiss rounds each team will be ranked, and at that point we cut approximatey half the field and switch the format to double elimination bracket. The post cut field will be equal to the nearest 2^x < n*2/3 where n = the number of teams. In other words:

• 3 to 5 teams in Swiss: 2 teams make the cut
  • 6 to 11 teams in Swiss: 4 teams make the cut
  • 12 to 23 teams in Swiss: 8 teams make the cut
  • 24 to 47 teams in Swiss: 16 teams make the cut (etc)

Note – the team that goes undefeated post-cut will receive an automatic bye during the lower bracket finals and then have a guaranteed two matches to close out the tournament. In other words, the team emerging from the loser’s bracket will need to win two consecutive 5-game matches against the winner’s bracket team to win the tournament.

Registration for the tag tournament #2 will open shortly after the end of the Swiss round of tag tournament #1.

8/31/17 Addendum
I've had a few people ask about the first-ban determination. I should have included those rules here in the first place.

In the first round of Swiss the second team slotted into each match up had to name their ban stage first (in other words, it is 100% randomized based on the headline we get for Round 1).

In the subsequent rounds of Swiss there is a three-stage hierarchy: a) if one team has banned-first more often than the other then the "other" team bans first, b) if the teams have a like number of banned-firsts then the lower ranked team must ban first, c) if their ranks are identical then the team name that comes second (alphabetically) must ban first (ignoring blank spaces and based on the player with the earlier name; for instance iiXanxusii is in front of iiZexxusii).

In other words, there is a very small disadvantage to having a "late" team name. The bottom one in the current tournament is Murder Mastodon/RebornGaignun and they seem to be doing just fine.

In the first round of Double Elimination the ban orders reset and the lower ranked teams ban first.

In subsequent rounds (post-Cut) we resort to the Swiss three-stage hierarchy with, two exception - 1) option c is eliminated (since each team will have been ranked 1 through 8 at the end of Swiss) and 2) the seeds at the end of Swiss will stay locked in regardless of how the team has performed post-cut. In other words, if you make the cut in first place then you are guaranteed to get at least as many second-bans as your opponents.

Gamertag: ii Xanxus ii

Postby ii Xanxus ii » July 26th, 2017, 1:18 pm

ii Xanxus ii and ii Zexxus ii

Gamertag: reborngaignun

Postby Gaignun » July 26th, 2017, 4:57 pm

RebornGaignun and Murder Mastodon

Gamertag: Bregan123

Postby Bregan123 » July 26th, 2017, 5:21 pm

Bregan123 and El Davio (PDDCM)

Postby WILD WEASEL » July 27th, 2017, 6:31 pm

II MIMIC II and Mezrath

Postby monkey20051 » July 27th, 2017, 7:46 pm

Silver Saint and Monkey20051

Postby The Multitude » August 1st, 2017, 2:51 pm

The Multitude and Ghost xDHx

Gamertag: Iv Evolution lv

Postby Iv Evolution lv » August 4th, 2017, 1:44 am

Iv Evolution vI and ore wa dare

Postby ElD » August 8th, 2017, 5:07 pm

Bondmonger wrote:During the week, you may only schedule start times between 5pm and midnight, EST. During the weekend you may do any time between 10am and midnight, EST. I know this is tough for you West Coasters.
Can this rule be waived if (and only if) both teams agree on it?

Postby Bondmonger » August 9th, 2017, 10:40 am

ElD wrote:Can this rule be waived if (and only if) both teams agree on it?

Absolutely. All the scheduling rules are applied solely at the discretion of the two teams. Whatever it takes to get the games played is fine by me!

The Challenge System exists to provide a transparent adjudication system for when deadlines get missed. It's strictly there to protect teams who get stood up from being penalized for not getting their game played.

Gamertag: Dewayne 202

Postby Dewayne202 » August 9th, 2017, 11:38 am

Dewayne 202 and Jay19000

Gamertag: xXSilverSaintXx

Postby xXSilverSaintXx » August 9th, 2017, 2:40 pm

monkey20051 wrote:Silver Saint and Monkey20051

Monkey wanted me to correct his mistake to make it easy to set up matches.

Postby Bondmonger » August 10th, 2017, 3:21 pm

xXSilverSaintXx wrote:Monkey wanted me to correct his mistake to make it easy to set up matches.

Thanks! That reminds me, I'm gonna be sending everbody invites on Live this weekend.

Nathan 0

Gamertag: Sandal Enc
Xlink Kai: FromTheDust

Postby Collected Dust » August 11th, 2017, 11:09 pm

Signing up team

Sandal Enc

and

filthy kaniggit

as Bregan has dubbed team Filthy Sandals.

Gamertag: Bregan123

Postby Bregan123 » August 12th, 2017, 3:53 am

Heck yeah, Filthy Sandals gonna wreck it

Next

Return to Tag Team Tournaments