[Prof's Online Arsenals]

Got an arsenal or idea that you'd like to share or discuss? Feel free to post it here.
User avatar
Posts: 83
Joined: Jun 28th, 2006
Location: EST
Gamertag: Prof Meow Meow

Re: [Prof's Online Arsenals]

Postby Prof Meow Meow » June 9th, 2017, 9:34 am

Collected Dust wrote:Regarding Energy, if you make Optimization a constant use, consider Photon Burst, combine that with Tiger's Strength and you'll bust any shield.

Not really feeling the Digests, and would recommend at least one becoming a Photon Barrier. You can use it a lot especially when Optimization is out. It'll help you out when you decide to engage in Photon Wave/Burst wars with other optical users. When you block a move like Photon Burst, you don't have to worry about the explosion covering over you when blocking with Photon Barrier. If you block it, you're completely safe from its explosion and can immediately follow up if your shield is broke by it. (usually will)

One little trick you can do with Photon Wave/Burst: Since timing can sometimes be tough to make sure someone's slash doesn't hit you, you can use the "block, then Burst" trick. Basically you wait for the opponent to strike you up close and block with your shield, and then quickly Photon Wave/Burst immediately after you throw your shield up. Technically they can escape but they have a very narrow window. Just a thought.

I've been thinking of the idea of a "subtle burst". Basically you don't use Optimization in your arsenal, but you do have an attack buff like Tiger's Strength to make Photon Wave do 6 damage. You block, then Burst Photon Wave for 6 damage. So the cost of blocking or using the move is similar to Photon Burst,(3-4 for shield, 4 for Photon wave) and the damage is close to 7. Haven't tried it out yet to know if it's a great strategic value compared to Photon Burst. (I decided I needed to chuck a second Photon Wave in the arsenal because it hasn't come up in the matches I used the arsenal)

I really like Photon Burst, but I can't always depend on Optimization. Considering Optimization's 5 cost, a lot of players are able to drop a cheaper environment first. I might throw it in there anyways, because, as you say, it can break most shields (especially with Tiger's Strength).
Photon Barrier is a good suggestion. I'm definitely going fit at least 1 in. I've have some good times with Digestion in this arsenal. Some laser spammers don't even realize that they're feeding me. And if someone fires something heavier, like Vibration Blaster, I'll happily trade Digestion for a bunch of health. Reflect Barrier is a lot of fun too, but it tends to break (and unlike Digestion, I'm not happy when it does).
The 'subtle burst' idea is a good one. I'm really defensive & tricky with Photon Wave. A lot of times I'll trigger it a half second before an enemy comes around a corner, and when they do, they get blasted back before they have a chance to do anything.

User avatar
Posts: 83
Joined: Jun 28th, 2006
Location: EST
Gamertag: Prof Meow Meow

Postby Prof Meow Meow » June 17th, 2017, 10:05 am

Updated my arsenal list on Tuesday, adding 4 new arsenals, and revising 2 existing ones.
>Added Rubber Johnny, Friend, Relapse, & Poof.
>Updated Vampire to include Fire of Gehenna & Lunar Force.
>Updated Jilly Beans (renamed Brain Freeze) to include Heat from Void, Twister, and more erase.

I plan to return to some of my oldest arsenals to tweak them based on the suggestions I have already received.
>Bravery Default: Will add Psycho Burst and some other tweaks. Bravery Default is extremely susceptible to erase like Lack. Considering options for that, but I'm reluctant to go 2-school because I rely on the 1-school aura recovery speed for my expensive skills like Excalibur, Reverse, and Psycho Burst.
>Vicious Cycle: Awful arsenal; too suicidal. I want to get back into Vicious Balance so I'm going start over. I can easily go 2-school on an arsenal like this. Will probably add Ki to replace Trance with Tiger's Strength and mix in a few Ki moves. I want to stick with 2/3 Level to capitalize on VB.

User avatar
Posts: 1651
Joined: Nov 5th, 2005

Postby ElD » June 17th, 2017, 11:50 am

Just some assorted thoughts on two of the new sets.

For Rubber Johnny, I would 100% trade out Devil's Arm for Angel's Wing because if you're going to try and have a high level or lay Optimization down anyway, it's better to have a shield that won't hurt you. The only other thing I might consider is choosing between Venom Fang/Crawlers and freeing up another slot for aura, but only if you feel like you're not getting enough aura at the beginning of matches. They'll only have a 1 cost difference with Opti down and fill the same niche.

I think Friend has some flaws: most glaringly, it can only do a maximum of 8 damage (7 with Holy Ray) and is walled completely by Psychic Wall (FoI with Holy Ray). Moreover, it can't get past Gust/Change Course. Lastly, any time you only have two attacks it means that unless your tag partner busts all their shields -- not a given if the opponent packs purify or the like -- it only takes two erase shields to completely cripple your attacking chances and *at best* promise a draw. Some well-chosen attack skills (Blaster, Flame Sword) might give you a little more flexibility. I know it's meant for Tag, but if I know a Tag partner is running compressor I just start trying to wail on the other guy. Decoy only goes so far.

User avatar
Posts: 83
Joined: Jun 28th, 2006
Location: EST
Gamertag: Prof Meow Meow

Postby Prof Meow Meow » June 17th, 2017, 2:12 pm

ElD wrote:Just some assorted thoughts on two of the new sets.

For Rubber Johnny, I would 100% trade out Devil's Arm for Angel's Wing because if you're going to try and have a high level or lay Optimization down anyway, it's better to have a shield that won't hurt you. The only other thing I might consider is choosing between Venom Fang/Crawlers and freeing up another slot for aura, but only if you feel like you're not getting enough aura at the beginning of matches. They'll only have a 1 cost difference with Opti down and fill the same niche.

I will swap out Devil's Arm for Angel's Wing. I really like the crawlers in this arsenal, and I don't really struggle with aura. I've got 13 aura + 2 Level Amps. I'll keep that in mind of course, and I'm not really digging Gravity Mine, so I might take that out.

ElD wrote:I think Friend has some flaws: most glaringly, it can only do a maximum of 8 damage (7 with Holy Ray) and is walled completely by Psychic Wall (FoI with Holy Ray). Moreover, it can't get past Gust/Change Course. Lastly, any time you only have two attacks it means that unless your tag partner busts all their shields -- not a given if the opponent packs purify or the like -- it only takes two erase shields to completely cripple your attacking chances and *at best* promise a draw. Some well-chosen attack skills (Blaster, Flame Sword) might give you a little more flexibility. I know it's meant for Tag, but if I know a Tag partner is running compressor I just start trying to wail on the other guy. Decoy only goes so far.

I'll probably take out a Friendship for another attack. I might also throw in a couple Recalls. And I learned first hand Decoy only goes so far when my decoyed opponent was manually aiming at my partner. :scared:

Thanks for the feedback!

User avatar
Posts: 1855
Joined: May 21st, 2005
Gamertag: Sandal Enc
Xlink Kai: FromTheDust

Postby Collected Dust » June 19th, 2017, 5:14 am

Try and slip in a Trance for Rubber Johnny. Would probably drop Gravity Mine for it. With it, Reincarnation will break any erase shield besides Fortress of Iron. 5 Damage Vibration Lasers are deadly. It'll let Vibration Blaster bust Guard, Fortress of Iron, and Wall of Fire.

User avatar
Posts: 83
Joined: Jun 28th, 2006
Location: EST
Gamertag: Prof Meow Meow

Postby Prof Meow Meow » June 20th, 2017, 3:59 pm

Collected Dust wrote:Try and slip in a Trance for Rubber Johnny. Would probably drop Gravity Mine for it. With it, Reincarnation will break any erase shield besides Fortress of Iron. 5 Damage Vibration Lasers are deadly. It'll let Vibration Blaster bust Guard, Fortress of Iron, and Wall of Fire.

I'll definitely give this a shot. I've been reluctant to add Trance only because I have poor self control with it.
I've already dropped Gravity Mine (and Rapid Cannon) for Judgement and Amulet. I know that most would say I should have dropped one of my crawlers instead of Rapid Cannon, but I've been having too much fun with them!

User avatar
Posts: 1651
Joined: Nov 5th, 2005

Postby ElD » June 21st, 2017, 1:21 pm

Prof Meow Meow wrote:I know that most would say I should have dropped one of my crawlers instead of Rapid Cannon, but I've been having too much fun with them!
If you're doing well and enjoying it, fuck what anyone (especially me) has to say about it.

User avatar
Posts: 83
Joined: Jun 28th, 2006
Location: EST
Gamertag: Prof Meow Meow

Postby Prof Meow Meow » June 23rd, 2017, 10:22 am

ElD wrote:If you're doing well and enjoying it, fuck what anyone (especially me) has to say about it.

Haha, I still appreciate the feedback! I think I've been loving crawlers because of how effective they are against wheelers.

Updated the Original Post!
Added a new arsenal, Optics, and updated two existing arsenals, Rubber Johnny & Energy (now Enrgy2).
Enrgy2 is the result of a huge overhaul. Basically a new arsenal, so I won't list all the changes.

Rubber Johnny
Small tweaks. Still planning on experimenting with Trance in this arsenal.
Removed: Rapid Cannon, Devil's Arm, Gravity Mine
Added: Angel's Wing, Judgment, Amulet

User avatar
Posts: 1651
Joined: Nov 5th, 2005

Postby ElD » June 23rd, 2017, 1:54 pm

Prof Meow Meow wrote:Haha, I still appreciate the feedback!
Oh, I didn't mean to imply you didn't appreciate feedback -- sorry about that. All I meant was that while some skills are universally easy to use (Vibration Laser, e.g.), a lot of others seem to have cult followings (Twister, Photon Wave, e.g.) depending on the player's "feel" for the skill. If Crawlers is one of those skills you have a good feel for and you enjoy using it, use it: the variety of usable skills in the metagame makes PD a more exciting game.

User avatar
Posts: 83
Joined: Jun 28th, 2006
Location: EST
Gamertag: Prof Meow Meow

Postby Prof Meow Meow » June 23rd, 2017, 2:12 pm

ElD wrote:Oh, I didn't mean to imply you didn't appreciate feedback -- sorry about that. All I meant was that while some skills are universally easy to use (Vibration Laser, e.g.), a lot of others seem to have cult followings (Twister, Photon Wave, e.g.) depending on the player's "feel" for the skill. If Crawlers is one of those skills you have a good feel for and you enjoy using it, use it: the variety of usable skills in the metagame makes PD a more exciting game.

I didn't think that!
And agreed! Mixing it up keeps it fresh. I'm definitely the type to keep trying new things and find new moves and combos I like. I didn't know there was a cult following for Photon Wave, one of my favorite attacks. I need to meet this cult!

User avatar
Posts: 1651
Joined: Nov 5th, 2005

Postby ElD » June 23rd, 2017, 2:58 pm

Prof Meow Meow wrote:I didn't know there was a cult following for Photon Wave, one of my favorite attacks. I need to meet this cult!
http://phantomdusted.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11332

User avatar
Posts: 533
Joined: Oct 25th, 2005

Postby enderwiggin » June 23rd, 2017, 3:30 pm

Yeah, Twister is very hit/miss for me and while I loved it back then I'm starting to like it less and less...

User avatar
Posts: 1899
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Gamertag: Bregan123

Postby Bregan123 » June 23rd, 2017, 4:57 pm

I'd forgotten about those.

The first skill appreciation thread took off, but there weren't much activity in the subsequent ones so I gave up. I think I'd asked someone to do a skill and they never did it either too.

If there's again, renewed interest in this, I'd be willing to start it up again. I wouldn't want to do it alone, I'd want 1-2 other authors involved to rotate weeks occasionally.

But yeah, Photon Wave is a great skill.

User avatar
Posts: 1855
Joined: May 21st, 2005
Gamertag: Sandal Enc
Xlink Kai: FromTheDust

Postby Collected Dust » June 25th, 2017, 4:46 am

Germano's got a bad ass Photon Wave or wtf?

https://youtu.be/Xo856IdbOqI

User avatar
Posts: 83
Joined: Jun 28th, 2006
Location: EST
Gamertag: Prof Meow Meow

Postby Prof Meow Meow » June 25th, 2017, 10:02 am

Bregan123 wrote:If there's again, renewed interest in this, I'd be willing to start it up again. I wouldn't want to do it alone, I'd want 1-2 other authors involved to rotate weeks occasionally.

It's probably not worth doing specific skill features because people lose interest fast and activity on this forum is so slow.
I feel like the "Additional Skill Details" forum is underused, and would be the best place to stir up conversations about specific skills.

enderwiggin wrote:Yeah, Twister is very hit/miss for me and while I loved it back then I'm starting to like it less and less...

IMO, Twister is more miss than hit. Sometimes it seems to just stop for no reason and it's easy to dodge.
It can be good in constricted, straight areas, like on the Palace escalators and the outer ring on Refinery.

Updated the Original Post: Added 2 arsenals, Angel & Prism, and updated Bravery Default.
Bravery Default: Removed Wall, added Crush, Skywalk, & Frighten.

PreviousNext

Return to Ubiquitous' Arsenal Lab

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests