how many people are playing PD

Join the discussion, anything Phantom Dust related can go here.
Gamertag: Toosets

how many people are playing PD

Postby Toosets » June 14th, 2017, 9:54 am

Sometimes it seems like theres a ton of people, other times it seems like noone is playing.....anyone got any insight to this 6/14/17

Postby enderwiggin » June 14th, 2017, 10:47 am

I see more people mainly playing later at night. Late afternoon-midnight seems flush with players.

Morning is very erratic, I saw a ton the other day but next to none the next.

Gamertag: PhilMetalJack66

Postby PhilMetalJacket » June 15th, 2017, 11:49 am

yeah, definitely way more at night. Try playing quick matches during the day, they are easier to find then standard at that time imo. Though you will probably find a lot of new players that way. I haven't been on a ton lately myself, rl stuff, but I'll be back Soon™

Gamertag: Bregan123

Postby Bregan123 » June 15th, 2017, 12:09 pm

The most harmful and toxic member of the community always has an extra slot in his room for ya Toosets

Gamertag: King David 73

Postby KingDavid73 » June 15th, 2017, 12:59 pm

I've had better luck in the evenings. I sometimes have to refresh a few times. I'd like to think there are a lot of people playing, they're just in full games that are currently in progress, so they don't show up....

Gamertag: PhilMetalJack66

Postby PhilMetalJacket » June 15th, 2017, 4:27 pm

KingDavid73 wrote:I've had better luck in the evenings. I sometimes have to refresh a few times. I'd like to think there are a lot of people playing, they're just in full games that are currently in progress, so they don't show up....

This happens a lot I believe, I will often see games 3/4 or 4/4 and just can't join them. I only play battle royales, for the most part, so I probably see less games open too.

Gamertag: Bloody Initiate

Postby Bloody Initiate » June 16th, 2017, 9:12 am

I think a lot of people started switching to private matches with the update too, so less would be publicly visible.

Postby sekoku » June 17th, 2017, 6:51 am

Bloody Initiate wrote:I think a lot of people started switching to private matches with the update too, so less would be publicly visible.

Why switching to Private matches? I haven't really followed the patch notes recently.

Site Admin
Gamertag: Phreaker

Postby Phreaker » June 17th, 2017, 7:21 am

sekoku wrote:Why switching to Private matches? I haven't really followed the patch notes recently.

There was a bug where private slots would turn public. That was fixed in the update. The only reason I know of to use private slots is if you're playing with friends and don't want the slots filled with random public players.

Postby DreamsInDigital » June 18th, 2017, 12:36 pm

It's really hard to come by official numbers, since the game isn't on steam. It doesn't show up on any of the "top games played" list put out by Microsoft, but that isn't that surprising (that list also includes a lot of single player games, and I'm not sure what metrics they use to determine the list).

I generally look at twitch stream viewer counts to get a rough gauge on the size of a game's community, and by modern standards, the numbers for Phantom Dust are incredibly low/non-existent. That's far from a perfect metric, though.

Postby monkey20051 » June 18th, 2017, 5:50 pm

I think the game is already dying a slow death. That's what happens with lack off marketing, a one day announcement for launch, a delayed launch due to an installer failure, and now lack of info on updates/online skills. Sad news for PD especially because I love it and it's been about the only game I've played since it launched. I'll keep playing out until it fully dies or a new game takes my attention.

Gamertag: Sandal Enc
Xlink Kai: FromTheDust

Postby Collected Dust » June 19th, 2017, 2:17 am

There are 10,000 gamertags with wins in BR and 1 on 1. 6-7000 tags with Tag wins. I still see new people talking in social media about it, but who knows how many jump to multiplayer.

The lack of a natural chat has probably hurt the most. People would learn from each other and joke with random strangers in stuff like BR. People don't naturally go out of the way partying up for randoms unless it's tag. Requiring Games with Gold to private chat hurts too.(at least some have told me that)

Postby enderwiggin » June 19th, 2017, 9:38 am

The number of flash-in-the-pan players is very high and I also think it's chat. So many people jumping into multiplayer with the most basic of PD knowledge and plenty of times I see players who don't even know how to use their aura. Chat messages only go so far and if they're just testing once or twice they are likely to have not played the story at all.

Postby WILD WEASEL » June 19th, 2017, 10:13 am

Collected Dust wrote:The lack of a natural chat has probably hurt the most. People would learn from each other and joke with random strangers in stuff like BR. People don't naturally go out of the way partying up for randoms unless it's tag. Requiring Games with Gold to private chat hurts too.(at least some have told me that)

This.

The amount of people that simply don't know how to pick up their partner is astounding.
Basic mechanics like these are very difficult to communicate to players through random messages and party invites.
I'm not trying to be negative I just feel like it really is paramount for the survival of this great game.

Postby ElD » June 19th, 2017, 10:20 am

No need to panic yet: my guess is that they haven't entirely dropped support for the game because they haven't added the online rares. If that's the case, one can remain optimistic that they're also working to implement things like a natural chat etc. etc.

Fingers crossed!

Next

Return to Phantom Dust General Discussion