Anyone else experience this?

Join the discussion, anything Phantom Dust related can go here.
Gamertag: Iv Evolution lv

Anyone else experience this?

Postby Iv Evolution lv » August 11th, 2017, 10:53 am

First let me start by saying this: I'm aware of latency and am understanding to its effects, I'm also gonna make it cleqar that I deeply enjoy playing our Japan brothers and sisters.

Today I joined a 3/4 BR with all Japan players.. I had no noticeable lag whatsoever with the exception that not a single sword move made contact.. I literally mean not one.

I was using my "Notorious Knight" Arsenal which consists essentially of this:

Shield breakers
Flame sword
Ice sword
Excalibur
Lightning sword
Psycho knife/blade
Shields
Attack buffs
Etc etc

All opponents were jumpers
NOT A SINGLE SWORD HIT ONE SINGLE DAMN TIME

I used proper angles, I dodged their attacks with a well timed counter attack, I raged liked a school girl

Gamertag: Bregan123

Postby Bregan123 » August 11th, 2017, 11:38 am

I've noticed swords in general being less reliable, but yeah, against players that are 150+ ping away it's basically impossible to hit them with a sword in any situation.

Postby enderwiggin » August 11th, 2017, 1:20 pm

With enough ping I have seen people function "after death" for 5+ seconds. Like attacking and picking up skills, then dying shortly thereafter to nothing as if I hit them that time later.

Postby monkey20051 » August 11th, 2017, 1:25 pm

Bregan123 wrote:I've noticed swords in general being less reliable, but yeah, against players that are 150+ ping away it's basically impossible to hit them with a sword in any situation.

I keep seeing people say this but I have not found it to be true. Almost most people have a 150+ ping with me. I get hit by swords and hit others quite often.

I think people might just have different remembering of how effective they were. They are good at self defense and players (especially jumpers) that don't know how to dodge. Otherwise I find them to work better in tag/br if the player can't just focus on you. 1v1 I can dodge most swords over and over as long as

1. I'm not negative speed
2. The other guy is not plus speed
3. They don't have 2 different sword types (ex. psycho blade and flame sword)
4. It's not fucking ice sword

Also as a jumper, you can't let someone with Excalibur get super close to you or you're screwed.

Postby ElD » August 11th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Bregan123 wrote:I've noticed swords in general being less reliable, but yeah, against players that are 150+ ping away it's basically impossible to hit them with a sword in any situation.

monkey20051 wrote:I keep seeing people say this but I have not found it to be true. Almost most people have a 150+ ping with me. I get hit by swords and hit others quite often.
I'm gonna set up camp in the middle of these opinions: I think swords are more sensitive to lag relative to other skills that require some mojo to dodge.

Gamertag: Sandal Enc
Xlink Kai: FromTheDust

Postby Collected Dust » August 11th, 2017, 11:02 pm

I don't think I've had as fond a memory of close range accuracies as others in the past. I used to chalk it all up to lag, but after messing around with things offline, swords can be pretty fickle at times.

Even when you set things up "right" offline sometimes moves can still get dodged/whiff. Like someone moves to the right against a flame sword and then you still miss the player.

WIth lag in the past I remember people walking away without much of any effort and the moves still don't want to connect. Flame Swords swinging right through players but still not connecting.(Even today) Still some of it really is just the games design of the moves.

You can see 2 bad whiffs offline with Vacuum Slash and a Blazing Sword I seemed to have no business dodging in the beginning of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTNkx9szSaw

I think Excalibur and Ice Sword are probably the most accurate swords of each type. Mist Blade also a wider swing than the other Flame Sword type moves.

I've actually had worse connections with some english speaking players compared to some Japanese players.

Though I doubt it will change things, Ceno with Excalibur, if that doesn't work I don't know what will. :shakehead:

Curious who you used as well. I'm trying to figure out some differences in character types. There's some weird subtle differences. Like Anthro and Vestio are shorter than cartwheelers and other monster rollers, letting them hide behind more objects. But JD is a roller like Anthro who is even shorter and can hide behind bridge barriers better at highway. Anthro swings his flame swords at higher heights though making some uncommon jump dodge tactics not work like they would against humans.(Taller carthwheelers don't even swing that high) Still even with all that I've not really found it to be a game changer against laggy opponents. (at least with Flame Sword)

Who knows, I feel like it's a lot harder to block things close these days to the point where I'm like "I should just use a freaking Dash" But maybe that's just slowed reflexes.

Postby ElD » August 14th, 2017, 9:46 am

Collected Dust wrote:You can see 2 bad whiffs offline with Vacuum Slash and a Blazing Sword I seemed to have no business dodging in the beginning of this video:
Those types of whiffs have been the exception and not the rule for me and Vacuum Slash...time to purge it from my arsenals.

Gamertag: Sandal Enc
Xlink Kai: FromTheDust

Postby Collected Dust » August 14th, 2017, 10:09 am

It's more like, lower your expectations because even when things look right they don't always work out that way, lag or not.

Return to Phantom Dust General Discussion