Is this it?

Join the discussion, anything Phantom Dust related can go here.

Is this it?

Postby DreamsInDigital » October 10th, 2017, 9:16 am

It's been over two months since our last update, and almost five months since the game's release. The July patch essentially brought the game back to what it was at the end of its 2005 life (with some minor improvements). While that is something of an accomplishment, I was really hoping we would get more than we ever had with this release.

In this interview with Adam Isgreen, he specifically mentions being able to "rebalance the game" or change existing skills, and possibly even create new skills. So far, we have seen no evidence of this in the live release (I know they tinkered with environmentals in the beta).

I'm wondering, are we ever going to get "new" skills (even if they are just reskins of existing skills with stats changed). Are we ever going to see any balancing of existing skills? It is starting to feel like the game has been abandoned at this point, and that the goal was only to ever re-release the game as it was in 2005.

Gamertag: Bregan123

Postby Bregan123 » October 10th, 2017, 10:57 am

I think yes, and there's two likely theories behind why its taking a while.

I'll give the less likely one first- Its possible they don't want to rebalance everything meta wise in the middle of the big opening tag tournament. They've been known to lurk in our FB group and forums, and they may want to wait until that's over.

The more likely reason is that it involves a lot of playtesting, throwing out half-done balance changes to a game that hasn't had one in over 10 years can be a bit daunting. If League of Legends patch stuff has taught me anything, its that the community goes nuts and flips out over even small changes at times, so they likely want to make sure that a healthy meta will endure instead of ending up with something totally broken.

From what we've heard, the re-release exceeded expectations in popularity, so there's not much reason to not expect them to hold true on balance changes and introducing new/modified skills.

Postby WILD WEASEL » October 10th, 2017, 11:27 am

I have the same concerns that you guys have stated,.
My only hope is that it was somewhat of a "success " with either the amount of people to play or with DLC purchases that they will continue to help the game grow.

I will admit it may be too difficult to start a total balance of all the other skills however I do believe they could make new skills without going to deep into the tank.

Maybe just wishful thinking?

Site Admin
Gamertag: Phreaker

Postby Phreaker » October 10th, 2017, 3:21 pm

I've wondered the same thing. I hope there is a big enough ongoing user base for them to continue to spend money on the game, but I'm not sure there is. You can always hit up @Ishmae1 (Adam Isgreen) on Twitter.

Gamertag: Sandal Enc
Xlink Kai: FromTheDust

Postby Collected Dust » October 10th, 2017, 10:25 pm

In the old days you could see the numbers of people still playing the game, but now it's like a top 10,000 or something. I really wished they released with mic fully supported from the start. It makes you wonder the difference it could have made.

It seems like the game got a mixed reception review wise. It's a shame the graphics bashing the game received when you know how much better it looks compared to the original. I think the graphics aged well, except some faces like the Protagonist's. Quite a few ugly mugs probably got covered up with Sun Glasses and head gear.

Microsoft has or is putting Killer Instinct on Steam. I see that as maybe the only likely avenue that could build Phantom Dust up more besides making a whole "new" game.

Here's hoping a good amount of people put enough money/time into the game to spur an update.

If not, it's great to play a kick ass game again that might inspire someone else.

Postby sekoku » October 13th, 2017, 7:44 am

If Phantom Dust came to Steam, I'd actually put some money down on it.

Return to Phantom Dust General Discussion